Every day, our school nurses support our students with much more than putting band-aids on skinned knees. Every day, our school nurses provide some of our most fragile students with the necessary support to remain at school safe and healthy. Throughout the Coronavirus pandemic, our nurses have led the charge for Salem-Keizer Public Schools (SKPS) in ensuring we do everything we can to protect our students while continuing to provide academic and social and emotional learning opportunities for students.
“During the global pandemic they showed up for our students, staff, and district all while still fulfilling their normal duties as well. It is a stand up team and wanted to show our support for them!” – Jodi Peterson, RN, District Health Authority
What nurses regularly do
During the regular school year, our school nurses provide ongoing support to our students to ensure their health and safety while in school. School nurses provide many avenues of support for our students and their families. Here are a few examples of support our school nurses provide daily to SKPS:
- Provide a nurse helpline for advice during school hours
- Support students’ health needs at school and create individual health plans based on student needs
- Health education and intervention support (ex: acute illnesses, chronic illnesses, mental health, nutrition, obesity, dental disease, sexually transmitted disease/pregnancy, substance abuse, injuries and emergencies, communicable disease)
- Health education (ex: adolescent pregnancy prevention, exercise, nutrition, oral health, parenting, preventing disease, smoking prevention and cessation, substance use and abuse, mental health support)
- Immunization and manage communicable disease, oversee infection control measures
- Provides trainings for staff and teachers (medication administration–basic medication, epinephrine, glucagon and any other needed training)
- Preventive and screening services, such as vision screens for students
- Serve as a liaison between school, family and community healthcare providers to ensure a healthy school environment
- Making decisions related to delegation of healthcare tasks to support staff
- Create evidence-based policy guidance
National School Nurse Day 2022
We hope you will join us on May 11, 2022 in honoring our school nurses for National School Nurse Day. Since 1972, National School Nurse Day aims to foster a better understanding of the role of school nurses in the educational setting. We are proud of how our school nurses consistently do everything they can to support our students and their physical and mental health needs, so our students can focus on learning.
Be sure to check out our posts for National School Nurse Day on our social media channels and leave your words of appreciation for our nurses!
This article is first published on Source link