Brazilian soccer great Pele has been hospitalized in Sao Paulo to adjust his medication to fight a colon tumor, his daughter said Wednesday.
Kelly Nascimento added that there was no “emergency” with her 82-year-old father’s health.
São Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital later added in a statement that Edson Arantes do Nascimento, known worldwide as Pele, was in stable condition after arriving on Tuesday “for re-evaluation of chemotherapy treatment for a tumor”.
The hospital also said the ex-footballer was “in full control of his vitals” and had not been taken to intensive care or intensive care for treatment.
Kelly Nascimento, who lives in the United States, did comments in an Instagram post after what she called “a lot of anxiety in the media today about my father’s health.”
ESPN Brasil previously reported that the three-time World Cup champion was taken to hospital due to “general swelling”.
“Truly and sincerely, we appreciate the care and love,” Nascimento said.
Pele’s spokesman, Joe Frago, told The Associated Press that the former soccer player is “going through a monthly check-up.”
In September 2021, Pele had his tumor removed and was then told by the hospital that he would begin chemotherapy.
Since then, Pele has used his social media channels to deny that he is in poor health. His last public comment was in an Instagram post on Oct. 23, his birthday.
“I just want to express my gratitude. Life is good. Turning 82 with my family, in good health, is the best gift. Thank you for everything I got,” he said in the video.
Pele helped Brazil win the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups and remains the country’s all-time leading goalscorer with 77 goals in 92 appearances for the national team.
This article is first published on Source link